Skip to main content

Color Burst Play

Hello Crafty Friends,

Today I am playing with Ken Oliver's Color Bursts.
You will need good quality water color paper to get some good results.


Since color bursts activate with water, you will also need a spray bottle.


I did a little experiment with a regular water bottle application VS a fine mist application.


Fine Mist Bottle Results



Large water drops from the regular spray bottle


There is no right or wrong- it's simply the look you prefer for the results you want to achieve.

I played with a few items from my craft stash and I wanted to share with you 6 techniques that produce good results with Color Bursts.

Technique 1- Dry then wet

In this technique, I added the Color Bursts (CB from now on) to dry water color paper.
I then misted with water.


Here is what it looks like after one pump from the mister.



After 2 pumps.


After 3 pumps.


STOP!!
I like it like this.
NEXT!

Technique 2- Wet then dry.

In this second technique, I sprayed the paper so that the entire surface was wet and started to apply the CB.


First tap of powder.


Second tap of powder.


 Third tap pf powder.


STOP!
LOVE IT!


Here is another I made next to it.


This is what they look like when they dry


Remember, that water color always dries lighter than you expect.

Technique 3- Watercolor Resist Pen


I grabbed my Prima Resist Pen and wrote a custom message on water color paper.


I waited for it to dry then once again, applied CB and water.


After drying, I rubbed away the resist "goo" to reveal a pattern in the background.


I made a few of these card fronts and here is how i finished it off and turned it into a card.


Technique 4- Heat Emboss with VersaMark.
I wanted to take this step a little further and decided to ink the background with clear Versamark. I then stamped this background script stamp and heat embossed it.


Once again, I added CB and water and the results are WONDERFUL!


Here is the final product. 
You will recognise the Prima Stamp from the previous month's kit.
They fit perfectly on card fronts :)


Here is another card made using Versamark and the embossing resist technique.
It really is very simple yet effective.


Technique 5- Stencil Play
In this experiment, I taped the stencil to the water color paper, lightly misted and then applied the CB.
I gently lifted the stencil and heat dried the paper.
Looks good although you can see where the color seeped under the stencil.


They make quick and easy backgrounds so you can make a quick and easy card.



Technique 6- Embossing folder play

For this technique, I embossed a piece of water color paper with an embossing folder and then once again wet the paper and applied the CB and then allowed it to dry. I also tried this in reverse- CB first and then embossed. The results are identical.


I went one extra step by buffing the embossed surface with a distress tool to further show the design of the embossing folder in the background.


A further step was to ink the white areas with Distress Ink Vintage Photo and then buff the raised embossed design. I love how this background turned out.


Here is the card mounted on a kraft card base.


And another....


And another...


Instead of using distress ink, I tried adding Inka Gold.


With a sponge I applied it gently to the raised areas.


I adore how this turned out :)



Here is another card made with a different embossing folder design.


 You will find that you will have MANY backgrounds because it is such a soothing and interesting product to play with and no 2 backgrounds that you make will EVER be the same.

Grab your embellishment bucket and sit down and make quick and easy cards for the next time you need to send someone a birthday card or just a hello :)








You can find my Process Video HERE.

Thank you for joining me today.
Happy crafting.
:) Amira

Comments