Skip to main content

10 Christmas Cards 2017 - Embossing Folder, Ribbon & Veneer Charms Challenge

Hello crafty friends,

Today I am challenging myself to use the following items from the December Kit from Aunty Vera Scrap and Craft.



I need to sit down to make Christmas cards for neighbours and friends and every card I make MUST have at least an embossed feature, ribbon or a wood charm.

The paper I am using today is card stock by American Crafts and the card bases are from this packI picked up at K-mart for $3.50!


The embossing folder is a beautiful "garland" theme.





I added Distress Oxides (Salty Ocean & Pickled Raspberry) to the labelled side of the embossing folder and really LOVE how they turned out.








I then wondered how white Distress ink would look on a black background


I also wanted to see how the Distress Oxide would compare on both white and black card stock 

Distress Oxide Seedless Preserve: White Card Stock Vs Black Card Stock 
Abandoned Coral and Seedless Preserve Distress Oxide on dry embossed black card stock

I ended up with some lovely backgrounds that I could use for cards.


Card 1- Merry Christmas Blue

For this card, I used a gold foiled decoupage element from a christmas magazine I bought to instantly make a card. I added a sentiment and done!
Too easy!



Card 2- Merry Christmas Pink
I LOVE polar bears!
I repeated the same process here with a polar bear gold foiled die-cut this time and added blue ribbon along the top and bottom to go one more step (the sentiment was already incorporated in the picture so I felt I needed to add one more element).



You can see how you can keep layering cards or leave them simple for quick and easy card making.

Card 3- Season's Greetings

For this card, I used the white inked dry embossed background.

I grabbed my tag die and cut out some small tags out of the Christmas Carousel Bo Bunny Papers.
I added ribbon to each of the those.

I then coloured in a stamp from my stash and fussy cut him out.



Here is a closer look at the card.


For an added touch, I used the Wink of Stella Zig pen from the kit and added it to the red in his scarf.


Looks REALLY lovely in real life and kicks things up a notch I think.

Card 4- Christmas Bear Hugs

Im on a bit of polar bear obsession at the moment so why stop here.
For this card, I used the poinsettia paper as the background then used a wonky stitched rectangle die from my stash to feature the embossing folder garland pattern.

I coloured in another polar bear and added a sentiment from my decoupage kit.


Card 5- Christmas Wishes

For this card, I used another one of the stitched dies from my stash.
This one creates 3 windows and I thought it would look so cute to have 2 of the bears peeping out from 2 of the windows and have the sentiment running across the middle window.

The paper that I used in the background is Bo Bunny Greetings.


Card 6- Festive Wishes

For this card, I created an interactive card that has the front cover divided into 2- one shows off the embossing folder pattern and the bottom sports this beautiful Holly pattern



The front of the card is 1" shorted than the back which allowed me to use an alternating red and green ribbon detail as well as add some colour from the inside of the card to show. 


For the front off the card, I coloured in a penguin stamp from my stash and added a wooden star charm.


This card is one of my favourites and used all 3 elements!

Card 7- Season's Greetings

For the next card, I wanted to try a 4"x6" horizontal formation.


I placed the embossing folder vertically, 


to get this look.


I then chopped off the excess.


Next I cut out 2 circles - one smaller one of pattern paper and one larger one of white card stock.


I layered then to create the main focal point of the card.

I then added the Poinsettia Sticker by Doodlebug Designs, a centred sentiment and matching Folk Christmas ribbon.

For the inside of the card, I added the Bo Bunny paper- Noel and I love how it peeks through to add more elements to the front of the card.



Really LOVE how this card turned out


The inside- I added an area to write on.


Card 8- Christmas Wishes

For this card, I used the blue dry embossed background as a base and then layered it up with a hexagon cut-out, a doily, feathers and a gorgeous PRIMA FLOWER from last month's kit.


Once again, I shortened the front of the card to allow for my stapled ribbon feature as well as a strip of washi to be seen from the base of the card. 


I stamped the sentiment on a piece of white card stock, then I added Versamark to the edges and dipped it into gold embossing powder and then heat set it.
I like the effect. Not quite gold foiled but close, and hand made.


I love the overall feel of this card. It looks like there is snow falling on the little caroler as she sings her heart away. 
Too cute!



Card 9-  Seek Peace

For my next card, I covered 3/4 of the card front with the Holly patterned paper and added 1/4 of white card stock.
I then dry embossed just the front of the card and was extremely pleased with the result!
To cover the border between the 2 papers, I added some green ribbon.


For the sentiment, I found this wooden sentiment which just fit perfectly and I added it to the top part of the card.




I love this cute stamped image of a girl (from my stash) which I had quickly coloured in with water colour. She is propped up with 3D foam tape.



For the inside, I simply added a 4"x6" journalling card.




Card 10- Peace & Love

Following on from my last card, I decided to flip it around.
I dry embossed a piece of blue card stock and added it to the inside of the card.
For the front, I added some left over pattern paper, a stamped image which I coloured in very quickly and another beautiful wood sentiment from my stash.







For the inside, I added a strip of white and red ribbon which can also be seen running down the front of the card.


Here are all my cards :)
Seeing them like this makes me SO HAPPY.
 Cant wait to send them out.




I do have a process video HERE.

Thank you so much for joining.
What did you do for you Christmas cards this year? Made or bought? I'd love to know.
xxAmira








Comments