Skip to main content

Super Hero Mixed Media Comic ~ Part 1 ~ The Cover

Hey everyone,

Have you ever wanted to make your own comic book?

I didn't- until I held in my hands this #wecanbeheroes kit that Aunty Vera put together for August.



This Abstract skyline stamp by Hero Arts is absolutely inspirational and making a comic book with it is so easy.

My Tim Holtz stamping platform was key here as I needed a large enough stamping block (best investment ever).

I stamped it out using black archival ink as well as using Versa Mark and fine embossing powder which I then heat set.





The reason why I stamped out a whole lot of these is because I wanted to cut each building up and prop it up with foam tape.



The 3D effect did take some time but it looks SO COOL.

I used my alcohol markers here. I used a combination of cool greys, warm greys and blue grey Kaiser Fusion markers. If you really want the numbers, leave a comment below and Ill get back to you with those.


Next, I got onto the Marvel Spider-man Wall Crawler Die.


I cut out a whole heap of these out of water color paper with my Big Shot.



Next, I grabbed my alcohol markers and went to my happy place colouring it.


I also paper pieced (polka Spiderman anyone?) and also cut some out of black card stock and used my white gel pen to outline. 



I love the dark Spiderman! 


I also cut the die out using red card stock and coloured in the blue parts with blue marker. 
And it gives a different look.
I love them both- very different.


So here is the result of my spidermen play session.


The free Spiderman looks like a lizard creature.
The silver Spiderman is awesome!

And look how amazing he looks on the 3D city piece!!


Amazing cards right there!


But we aren't making cards, we are making a comic so lets press on!

I cut down some white card stock to 6" x 12" and used the Heidi Swap Black Spritz Color Shine on the upper third.


 I wanted to give the illusion of a black sky behind the city scape.
You can also do this by just using black card stock but I wanted a chance to use the black color shine.


But when it dried, it looked more like following smoke so then I DARED to add the Red Brusho Colour Crystals to make it look like there was a fire underneath it and that the smoke was billowing from the behind the buildings.


This is what is looked like when it dried (hurried along by the heat gun of course).
Looked a bit patchy.


I then cut the city scape in half so that I could reveal the burning sky above the city line.


Lastly, to remove the drip page marks and to give the comic cover a bit of a glossy look, I added Glossy Mod Podge.


Perfect!!



HELP!!
The city is on Fire!!! 
Help!! 
We need superheroes!!!




And on that cliff hanger of an ending, watch the first part of my tutorial HERE

and come back for part 2 to meet the Superheroes!!

xxAmira

Comments