Skip to main content

DIY Australian Pocket Traveler's Notebook ~ Part 3 ~ Making the leather cover

Hey everyone,

Welcome back to Part 3 of my Aussie Pocket TN Series.

We are on to making the cover!
Now I must confess that the idea to make a Pocket TN came to me when I was sewing my insert. 

I actually wanted it to be a Passport but was not satisfied by the size, so settled for the Pocket instead. 

The previous tutorial is fine if you want to make an insert that is outside the traditional TN sizes.


Here is what I mean:

From left to right: Regular Travelers Notebook (TN), Pocket TN, Passport TN

Here are the dimensions for each:

Regular TN:
Cover :10 1/8" x 8 3/4" H
Inserts: 9" W x 8.5" H

Pocket TN:
Cover: 8.5" x 6" H
Inserts: 7" W x 5.5" H

Passport TN:
Cover: 8.5" x 5 3/8" H
Inserts: 7" W x 5" H

This is when I decided to cut down the inserts I made in the previous blog to match a size that will fit into the pocket TN.

Next, I reached for this remnant of leather I picked up on my recent trip to HK (have you watched my haul video?).


I lightly pencil in the dimensions of the cover which are 8.5" x 6" H


I then place my wooden cutting board under my leather and use my scalpel blade and my steel ruler to gentle cut the leather.


This is the first time I have ever made / owned a genuine leather pocket journal!!


Squeal!
It feels amazing!
It smells !!
WOW!
Everyone was right!
There is nothing like leather.
I feel like a true Aussie adventurer with a leather pocket journal! 

Watch the process video HERE

And make sure you continue onto Part 4 for the next instalment.

xx Amira

Comments